Today on The Truther Girls, my guest will be Maurene White, a nurse who has been campaigning against circumcision for four decades. Maurene is the founder of farreach.org, and organization that helps to inform people about the risks of circumcision and the benefits of having a foreskin. She also helps adult men learn how to restore their foreskins and has developed an iPhone application called i4skinhealth for this purpose, which you can see and buy here at the Apple Store. 100% of proceeds from sales of the app go to research and education to assuage circumcision harms.
People tend to have strong feelings about circumcision. Some people defend it vehemently on the basis of their religious beliefs, or the beliefs that it provides health or hygiene benefits, while others oppose it just as strongly and say it is no different from female genital cutting. To me, this is a subject on a par with vaccination when it comes to the need for the public’s access to factual information on the risks versus the benefits. Just this week, two babies died as a result of circumcision at the Jewish General Hospital in Montreal, one from hemorrhage and the other from shock. Given that this procedure can sometimes result in such tragic consequences, I hope that my interview with Maurene today will help people make more informed decisions about circumcision, as it concerns their own bodies and those of their children. There is nothing worse than making an uninformed decision and later regretting it, saying “If only I had known!’. Regardless of whether you decide to circumcise or not, I want you to make the best, most informed decision and feel confident about it.
Today, we will be addressing questions such as:
– What are the true risks of medical complications from circumcision?
– Does circumcision traumatize the baby?
– Does it increase his sensitivity to pain in the long term?
– Does circumcision confer hygienic advantages?
– Has circumcision actually been shown to protect against HIV, certain cancers or other diseases?
– Is circumcision sometimes medically necessary, as in the case of phymosis?
– What are the benefits of not being circumcised?
– How can an adult man restore his foreskin?
– How can Jewish parents who do not want to circumcise reconcile this with their religious beliefs?
– How can Jewish parents cope with family pressure to circumcise?
You can listen live today at 2:00 pm EST at americanfreedomradio.com
Download the archived show from americanfreedomradio.com/TrutherGirls_11
Join us in the chat room at truthergirls.chatango.com
or call in at 402-237-2525 with your questions or commentary
Please also watch the following documentary and visit Maurene’s website at farreach.org. Maurene has also developed a handy booklet called Coordimed to help you keep track of your family’s health information and is in the process of developing an iPhone application for this as well. For more information, visit coordimed.com